BUFFALO, N.Y. -
- Meteorologist on the Number One-rated News 4 newscasts at 5, 6 and 11.
- Originally joined News 4 team August, 1984, returned in 1991
- Meteorologist WGRZ-TV, Buffalo (1988 - 1991)
- Chief Meteorologist WBEN-AM, Buffalo (December 1990 - 1994)
- Meteorologist WJYE-FM, Buffalo (1988-1990)
- Meteorologist/Science Editor WJBK-TV, Detroit (June 1979 - August 1984)
- WFLA-TV, Tampa, Florida (July 1978 - June 1979)
- KAKE-TV, Wichita, Kansas (July 1976 - July 1978)
- WVII-TV, Bangor, Maine (March 1976 - July 1976)
- Science writer and radio features reporter/producer for the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's Office of Public Affairs, concentrating on matters concerning environmental sciences, public health, and regulatory challenges.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Meteorology, minor in Political Science, Rutgers University,
- Continuing Education: AMS/National Weather Service short courses (15) completed in the interpretation of Doppler radar data, satellite meteorology, severe weather forecasting, flooding events, and completion of the NWS COMET training modules at the NWS in Buffalo on Doppler radar applications, heavy precipitation, and winter weather forecasting techniques.
- Completed Army ROTC program while at Rutgers.
- Served as 1st lieutenant at the U.S. Army Infantry School, Fort Benning, GA.
- Retired from USAR at rank of Captain.
Hobbies and Interests
- Interested in contemporary big band jazz, American popular standards, Frank Sinatra, and orchestral arrangements (he can't read a note!)
- Wrote jokes ("on the side") for New York radio personality Ted Brown (of WNEW-AM) for 9 years.
- Twice considered for a staff writing position for "The Tonight Show starring Johnny Carson" by the show's Head Writer, and was "personally passed over" by Johnny, himself. (Don's proudest "non-accomplshment.")
- Has two daughters, Leah and Leslie
Favorite Books and Movies
- Can't name a single favorite book, but "Plan Nine From Outer Space" still ranks as his favorite movie (if he sees it no more than once every 5 years.)
What I Like About Buffalo
- "It sounds hokey, but among the things I like best about Buffalo is the weather, and that INCLUDES lake effect snow! I love the relative ease of getting around (compared to the NYC area where I grew up), the choices for entertainment and eating, the warmth of the people, and the surrounding countryside. I never knew I would settle down here when I arrived in 1984, but Buffalo is home now."
Born and Raised
- Don was born in Jersey City, and raised in Hudson County, NJ, adjacent to Manhattan. "I'm one of the few people from Hudson County never indicted by a Federal Grand Jury," Don brags. That is his other favorite non-accomplishment.