Updated: Tuesday, 24 Jul 2012, 6:45 AM EDT
Published : Tuesday, 24 Jul 2012, 6:45 AM EDT
CORFU, N.Y. (WIVB) - It was a lucky escape for some Corfu residents Monday night. This, after an ATV clipped a major gas line, creating a potentially explosive situation
Genesee County fire officials say it was a dangerous situation. Residents had to be evacuated when gas started shooting into the air and a strong odor filled the neighborhood.
It was a rude awakening for some stunned neighbors, close to where the gas meter ruptured, who were told to evacuate.
“We only had two minutes to get out, but we're all here.” Neighbor Wendy Magoffin said, “That's what they told us, two minutes. Hurry up and get out.”
Neighbor Alysia Magoffin said, “I ran upstairs, and I got some blankets because we didn't know what was going to happen. And then we got the baby up and we kinda left.”
The Magoffins were among three houses and up to 20 people who had to be evacuated after the accident.
According to fire officials, around 9 p.m. Monday night a person riding their ATV clipped the gas meter near the road, causing a leak in the high-pressure line.
Because of where the break in the line was, it took longer to shut off the gas.
East Pembroke Fire Chief Don Newton said, “National Fuel did advise us that it was a 175 PSI line. It was not able to be shut off until they got there to dig the ground out to get to the shut off valve.”
The Genesee County Sheriff’s Office says residents are back in their homes Tuesday morning, fortunately no one was injured.
Officials don't know why the ATV ran into the gas meter, right now it appears to be an accident.