TROUTDALE, Ore. (CNN/KATU) - An Oregon teenager is being called a hero for saving a young boy trapped inside a burning bedroom.
Battalion Chief Mark Maunders says the fire began in 8-year-old Cody Ma's upstairs room and then spread to the attic. Cody, scared by the fire, ran to another room and locked the door to keep the smoke out. His father and neighbor Eduardo Ugarte couldn't break down the door.
Then, 14-year-old Marcos Ugarte grabbed a ladder, broke out a window screen, and rescued Cody.
"I just told him to go feet first, and then he like walked down the ladder but I had my arm around him so he was secure," said Ugarte.
"I will never forget their names anymore because they are my heroes. They are my son's heroes forever," said You Ma.
The neighbors didn't really know each other until the fire, but now they are forever linked.
Police say they had the wrong man, and that Jerome Thagard, who spent four years in prison, didn't murder Steven Northrup in 2009. But the victim's family says otherwise.
A Good Samaritan died Wednesday while trying to assist the driver of a tractor trailer who got stuck in the snow.
A 26-year-old male employee of Ying's Wings and Things told police that Haibo Jiang, also known as Jimmy Ying, choked him until he passed out.
It was so treacherous in North Collins, the mayor had to issue a travel ban, and village snow plows were pulled off the roadways to keep drivers from trying to plow in zero visibility.
The Buffalo School Board unanimously approved plans to transform Burgard High School into a Manufacturing Magnet School on Wednesday,
Investigators are making progress in the case of a Chihuahua thrown in a ditch while zipped up in a Coors Light thermal bag.