ALDEN, N.Y. (WIVB) - After a thorough investigation, the Erie County Sheriff's Office has concluded an inmate concocted a story about being raped by a deputy in order to try and move to a prison closer to his wife.
Former South Buffalo resident 38-year-old Salvatore Andrews is serving a six-month sentence for failing to pay child support at the Erie County Correctional Facility in Alden. On August 29th, Andrews reported that he had been sodomized by a guard. But after investigating, authorities say Andrews made up the story in the hopes of being moved to the Orleans County Correctional Facility so that he would be closer to his wife in Albion.
A joint investigation between the Erie County Sheriff's Office and the Division of Professional Standards concluded:
- There was no medical evidence to support Andrews' claim. He was examined by ECMC personnel on August 31st and there was no evidence showing he was raped.
- A fellow inmate signed a sworn statement saying that a few days prior to Andrews making the allegation, Andrews had asked the inmate if making up a story about being assaulted would get him transferred. Prior to the allegation, the inmate says Andrews never seemed to have any issues with any of the jail personnel.
- Andrews had several opportunities, including phone calls and visitors, to report the supposed assault. But he never mentioned it in any of the phone logs and no one outside the jail ever filed a complaint.
- The guard Andrews claimed assaulted him would have had to work the midnight shift. But the guard signed out an hour earlier the night and time the alleged assault supposedly took place.
- A computer program that indicates every time an inmate's cell is opened showed that Andrews' door was closed at 9:15 p.m. and not re-opened until the next morning for breakfast, though Andrews claimed the assault took place about midnight on August 29th.
Authorities say they found no evidence whatsoever to support Andrews' claim and have charged him with offering a false statement, second degree perjury and making a false statement. He will be arraigned on the new charges on September 19th.
An airman from Niagara Falls was away training for the Air Force for months. After being apart from his family, he decided to surprise them at Kelly’s Country Store in Grand Island.
A Buffalo city jail cell block attendant was arrested early Saturday morning on multiple animal cruelty charges.
The death of 30 year-old Desirae James remains a mystery. Her body was found inside a burning car last month and sources say she was stabbed several times.
Dozens of loved ones gathered at the crime scene Saturday night to remember the …
Buffalo police homicide detectives have identified an Eggertsville man as the victim of a shooting Saturday morning.
Detectives say Brandon Cahee, 28, was found in an upper apartment of a home on Ericson Avenue, and he had been shot.
It's been one month since Typhoon Haiyan barreled through the Philippines, leveling towns and killing nearly 6,000 people.
Rookie Mike Glennon rebounded from one of his worst performances of the season to throw two touchdown passes and lead the Tampa Bay Buccaneers a 27-6 victory over the struggling Buffalo Bills on Sunday.