(CNN) - With dozens of states reporting widespread flu activity , it's important to protect everyone around you if you yourself feel like you are getting sick. Here are some tips from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention :
• Use a tissue to cover your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze
• Put that used tissue in the trash; don't leave it lying around
• If no tissue is available, cough or sneeze into your upper sleeve or elbow
• Do not cough or sneeze into your hands
• Make sure you clean your hands after coughing or sneezing
• Use soap and warm water to wash your hands for 20 seconds
• Alcohol-based hand sanitizer can also help disinfect your hands
• Keep your distance from other people, avoiding close contact if you feel sick
• Stay home from work, school or doing errands
Here's something you might not have thought of: Your phone could have a lot of germs on it. And if you've just washed your hands and then start typing on your smart phone, you've just dirtied them again!
Dr. Geeta Nayyar, Chief Medical Information Officer at AT&T, recommends washing or disinfecting your phone -- safely, of course. Make sure you follow the instructions from your phone's manufacturer on how to properly clean the device, she said in an e-mail.
Copyright © 2013 CNN. All Rights Reserved
A jury has convicted 16-year-old Dylan Schumaker of second degree murder in the death of his girlfriend's young son.
A second arrest has now been made in connection to a suspected meth lab on Saunders Settlement Road in Cambria.
Minor Lk Snow develops & shifts south. Lake Snow increases later Tue north & settles south.
The Erie County Water Authority is warning the public about people posing as water meter service workers.
A City of Buffalo employee who was arrested over the weekend on animal cruelty charges says he did nothing wrong.
America's oldest state park is in the midst of a major makeover and officials are giving a clearer picture of what's next for Niagara Falls.