DHAKA, Bangladesh (AP) — A fire broke out Sunday in a garment factory in Bangladesh's capital, but the blaze was extinguished before it could spread and there were no casualties, an official said.
The fire broke out on the top floor of a six-story building in Dhaka where bundles of clothes were kept, fire official Sheikh Mizanur Rahman said.
The fire was contained and put out before it could spread and all 3,000 workers in the building were either evacuated or left when the fire alarm rang, he said.
The lax safety standards of Bangladesh's $20 billion-a-year garment export industry have been at the heart of heated debate after a factory collapse in April and a fire at a factory building in November left more than 1,200 people dead.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Police say they had the wrong man, and that Jerome Thagard, who spent four years in prison, didn't murder Steven Northrup in 2009. But the victim's family says otherwise.
A Good Samaritan died Wednesday while trying to assist the driver of a tractor trailer who got stuck in the snow.
A 26-year-old male employee of Ying's Wings and Things told police that Haibo Jiang, also known as Jimmy Ying, choked him until he passed out.
It was so treacherous in North Collins, the mayor had to issue a travel ban, and village snow plows were pulled off the roadways to keep drivers from trying to plow in zero visibility.
The Buffalo School Board unanimously approved plans to transform Burgard High School into a Manufacturing Magnet School on Wednesday,
Investigators are making progress in the case of a Chihuahua thrown in a ditch while zipped up in a Coors Light thermal bag.