FREETOWN, Sierra Leone (AP) — Sierra Leone's media commission has suspended a newspaper for reporting that the Islamic extremist rebels of al-Shabab were planning to attack a main government building.
In a statement Sunday, the Media Commission said the newspaper, Watchman, would be suspended for one month over Friday's front-page report headlined "Al-Shabab to Attack Youyi Building." It said the report created "panic" among employees of ministries housed in the building.
Last week, Sierra Leone bolstered security at government buildings because of the threat posed by al-Shabab, which last month killed at least 67 people in an attack on a Kenyan mall that came as retaliation for Kenya sending troops into Somalia two years ago.
Sierra Leone deployed an 850-member battalion to the African Union mission in Somalia earlier this year.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
A Town of Tonawanda restaurant owner has been arrested and charged with strangulation and assault.
State Police need your help finding the pickup truck driver who pinned a mother against her vehicle as she was loading her baby and young son into it and then fled the scene.
A house became engulfed in flames on Route 243, in Rushford, early Wednesday morning.
The Thruway Authority is asking drivers to avoid I-90 between the Hamburg and Dunkirk exits. Motorists are asked to avoid the area because of traffic and visibility.
Lakes will remain active on and off through the weekend.
One third of Canadians receive their mail straight to their door but that will soon be changing. Canada Post will phase out their door-to-door delivery over the next five years.