JOHANNESBURG (AP) — The South African military says Congolese and United Nations forces are holding an area of eastern Congo that was taken from rebels and there is a lull in fighting between the two sides.
The South African and Tanzanian militaries are contributing to a U.N. brigade with a mandate to attack the M23 rebels.
The South African military said in a statement Friday that the brigade and Congolese troops were holding the "Triple Tower" mountain and the general area of Kibati village.
Brig. Gen. Xolani Mabanga, the South African military spokesman, says there are currently no "offensives" by either side.
Last week, the rebels declared a unilateral cease-fire following a week of heavy fighting. Congo's government wants M23 disbanded.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Cold and breezy with snow increasing in coverage into the overnight hours.
A jury has convicted 16-year-old Dylan Schumaker of second degree murder in the death of his girlfriend's young son.
A Salamanca man has been charged with DWI after a traffic accident in the Town of Little Valley Saturday.
America's oldest state park is in the midst of a major makeover and officials are giving a clearer picture of what's next for Niagara Falls.
A second arrest has now been made in connection to a suspected meth lab on Saunders Settlement Road in Cambria.
A former doctor from Youngstown who admitted obtaining prescription pills through fraud will surrender his medical license.