BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) - Buffalo's bravest want to know what caused a boarded-uppsychiatric center to go up in flames over night.
Firefighters rushed to the Richardson Complex on Forest Avenuejust after 3 a.m. on Saturday.
Rescue crews said they immediately called a second alarm whenthey saw flames shooting out of a second-story window.
The complex has been shut down since the early 1970's, whichcaused some tense moments for firefighters.
Buffalo Fire Division Chief, Jack Hess explained, "It was thelast property I wanted to have on fire because we haven't been inhere for years. You don't know what the condition of the buildingsare."
He also stated, "Even while the fire was free burning, some ofthe masonry on the outside collapsed right near some firefightersthat were busy on the outside."
Chief Hess said that some firefighters narrowly missed gettinghit by a collapsing ceiling while inside.
Luckily no one was injured.
Damage is estimated at $200,000
The Richardson Center Corporation released a statement saying,"We are saddened by the building damage but are glad no one washurt. Work to seal up the building will take place and we willcontinue to advance the first phase of development."
Police say they had the wrong man, and that Jerome Thagard, who spent four years in prison, didn't murder Steven Northrup in 2009. But the victim's family says otherwise.
A Good Samaritan died Wednesday while trying to assist the driver of a tractor trailer who got stuck in the snow.
A 26-year-old male employee of Ying's Wings and Things told police that Haibo Jiang, also known as Jimmy Ying, choked him until he passed out.
It was so treacherous in North Collins, the mayor had to issue a travel ban, and village snow plows were pulled off the roadways to keep drivers from trying to plow in zero visibility.
The Buffalo School Board unanimously approved plans to transform Burgard High School into a Manufacturing Magnet School on Wednesday,
Investigators are making progress in the case of a Chihuahua thrown in a ditch while zipped up in a Coors Light thermal bag.