BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) - A local case of lead poisoning has led to a nationwide recall, thanks to the Erie County Health Department.
Investigators began looking into why a little girl in Buffalo had an elevated level of lead in her blood in early October. Officials say the family are refugees who have resettled in the city's west side.
After examining the family's home and finding negative results, investigators began to look at the family's food source and discovered turmeric, a spice used frequently in their diet and manufactured in Bangladesh, had high levels of lead.
The Erie County Health Department sent samples to the Food and Drug Administration, which found the spice had lead at 28 parts per million. The FDA recommends for candy likely to be consumed by small children that levels of lead be no higher than .1 parts per million.
As a result of the work for the Erie County Health Department, Pran turmeric powder is being recalled.
"It's caused the FDA to take pause and think about how they're going to regulate importation of other spices outside the United States because there's really no standard now for resting and regulation," Erie County Health Commissioner Dr. Gail Burstein said.
Turmeric is often used in foods from Southeast Asia, such as curry. The girl is now doing fine.
Hundreds of workers, politicians and residents of Chautauqua County rallied in Dunkirk calling on state regulators to approve plans for NRG to convert and reopen a power plant.
Buffalo police homicide detectives have identified an Eggertsville man who was shot and killed early Saturday morning.
Seventy-two years after the attack that launched the US into World War II, Western New Yorkers remembered the fatal day at Pearl Harbor Hawaii.
Volunteers at Buffalo’s Salvation Army created holiday cards and gift bags for the seniors at the Golden Age Center.
Buffalo Police have arrested 26-year-old Nicholas Finnegan of South Buffalo and charged him with pushing Russ Ross to his death.
The abandoned puppy in the Town of Evans was actually turned in by the dog's owner.