LANCASTER, N.Y. (WIVB) - Four males suffered from electric shock at a Lancaster High School athletic field Monday afternoon. Officials say they were moving a goal post around 12:45 p.m. when they came in contact with an electrical power line.
Lancaster Police report the goal posts had been used for a football kicking camp run by the Hammer Kicking Academy over the weekend. The incident happened as the camp was wrapping up for the day when the victims were sliding a portable field goal back to its place.
The tip standing 30-feet high caught the high voltage wires ahead, which caused the intense shock to strike the men. One of the males was thrown 15-feet away due to the shock.
Three of the victims were taken to Erie County Medical Center and one was taken to Women and Children's Hospital. There is still no word on their conditions.
The ages of the victims include: a 15-year old from Lancaster, a 17-year-old from Amherst, an 18-year-old from Lancaster and a 28-year-old coach from Getzville.
The 15-year-old taken to WACH received the most serious injuries.
We are told at least one of the males had to be revived.
A former Lancaster High School quarterback, Ryan Radke visited one the victims in the hospital who said he doesn't remember what happened, but was in great spirits.
Superintendent of schools in Lancaster Dr. Michael Vallely said immediately following the incident, "At this time, details are unfolding about the nature and extent of the injuries of the persons involved. We are continuing to fully cooperate with the Lancaster Police and their investigation into the nature of the accident."
It was Vallely's first day on the job. He additionally stated later Monday night, "A heart-felt thanks goes out to the first responders of the Lancaster community-police, fire and rescue. If it wasn't for the amazingly rapid response for our community heroes, this story could've had a much different ending."
Doctors at Woman and Children's Hospital said a defibrillator is especially useful after a shock, because the heart is an electrical organ too. Details of the voltage and how strong it was are currently unknown.
An ongoing investigation remains underway.
A man who was wrongly convicted of second degree murder in 2009 has been set free after spending four years in prison.
Investigators are trying to determine who dumped a dog on the side of the road inside a zipped up Coors Light thermal bag.
A man once featured on the Cattaraugus County Top 10 Most Wanted List has pleaded guilty after being extradited from Indiana.
Lake effect snow warning in effect for southern tier.
Two men have been arrested by Wyoming County Sheriff's deputies and charged with selling heroin in the Village of Attica.
A woman was arrested Sunday after she allegedly tried to bite her neighbor during an argument over offensive odors.