BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) - Hundreds of Buffalo residents were forced to sweat it out overnight. This, after a sudden power cut.
It could have been a dangerous situation Tuesday night at the Marine Drive Apartments. Residents had no power, but they still had to deal with the hot temperatures.
Luckily no one was trapped in an elevator or passed out from the heat.
Fifth floor resident Daniel Conway said, "At first I thought it was just a fuse blew or something. But I didn't think there was a power outage anywhere."
Conway and his father, along with many of the residents at the Marine Drive Apartments, were forced to wait outside. Not just because there were no lights, but because the apartments become unbearably hot.
Residents took it upon themselves to look out for their elderly neighbors.
Fifth floor resident Marcus Carroll said, "I offered to walk up with her several times but she insisted no, she had her flashlight and that was all she needed. Someone went in later to check up on her and she was fine."
After the power company checked on things it was determined the problem didn't have a quick fix, so generators were brought in to restore power to the towers.
For some longtime residents, they take incidents like this one step at a time, despite the heat.
Conway said, "This ain't the first time we been through this, its happened before, so you just take it in stride."
The Marine Drive Apartments have five towers. Shortly after 1 a.m Wednesday, one of the towers had their power restored by the generators.
As for the remaining towers, it is unclear if they have power, but we'll continue to make calls to see if the rest have power.
An Erie County judge has ruled that the statements Candace Cartagena made to police will be used in her murder trial. Of the six statements, two were not allowed in.
Friends and family of 20-year-old Ashley Nelson have not heard from her since September 17th.
A Dinosaur Bar-B-Que restaurant is taking another step closer to opening in Buffalo. The restaurant, that is slated to open in February, will begin hiring for hourly positions on Monday.
The Niagara County SPCA is so packed with cats and dogs that the shelter is waiving adoption fees on many of its animals this holiday season. But a distraught pet owner came to us claiming the shelter sold her a cat that was so sick she …
A car flipped onto its side during an accident on Dick Road in Depew between George Urban Boulevard and Walden.
A Warsaw woman is accused of abandoning a dog at a property on Quarry Road.