BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) - It was a sea of pink Saturday at Delaware Park as close to 7,000 people turned out for this year's Susan G. Komen Western New York Race for the Cure.
The annual 5K run/walk fundraiser serves as a celebration of those who have survived breast cancer as well as a time to remember those who lost their lives to the disease.
This year's event raised over $500,000. Up to 75 percent of those proceeds will remain in western New York, helping to fund breast health education and breast cancer screening. The remaining 25 percent will support breast cancer research through the Susan G. Komen Research Grant Program.
"Susan G. Komen for the Cure is the largest grassroots organization fighting breast cancer today. The Western New York Affiliate of Susan G. Komen truly makes an impact in this community not only on race day but all year round with the funds raised by the runners and walkers in this race," said Colleen Nossavage, Board President WNY Affiliate of Susan G. Komen.
Over the past 12 years, the Komen WNY Affiliate has raised over $3.9 million dollars to help stop breast cancer.
For more information about the Komen WNY Race for the Cure, visit http://www.komenwny.org or call
A jury has convicted 16-year-old Dylan Schumaker of second degree murder in the death of his girlfriend's young son.
Police say a Mercedes Benz was making a left turn, when it failed to yield the right of way and struck the police car.
Deputies say they found 43 bags of crack cocaine when they executed a search warrant on a vehicle in Orleans County.
Lake Effect Snow Warning for S. Erie, Chautauqua, Cattaraugus, and Wyoming counties from Tues evening until Thurs morning
A Buffalo city jail cell block attendant was arrested early Saturday morning on multiple animal cruelty charges.
Rallies, protests, and demonstrations have been happening across the nation Monday. The focus of the frustration - America's new "Common Core" standards for education.