NORTH TONAWANDA, N.Y. (WIVB) - Investigators of a North Tonawanda house fire that killed a mother and her daughter said there were no working smoke detectors inside the home.
The fire that started in the living room, happened two weeks ago that took the lives of 62-year-old Kathleen Watson and 84-year-old Dorothy Burns.
RELATED | 2 dead after house fire in N. Tonawanda
Investigators also said clutter could have prevented the two women from escaping their home on Third Avenue.
Fire Chief John Lapham said at least one of the victims was a smoker, and there were also many extension cords in use throughout the house.
There is a hearing Thursday in Buffalo about the use of medical marijuana. So far 20 states and Washington D.C. allow it.
Common Core, a new wave of educational standards now being implemented across the country, is causing controversy across the nation, and took center stage in Jamestown Wednesday evening.
In an effort to combat childhood obesity, a local school district is now banning a popular sweet treat.
BJ's Wholesale Club put out an advertisement offering a full week of Black Friday bargains, including deep discounts on big screen TVs that would save customers hundreds of dollars.
This year, some local students are getting out their pens and paper to make sure other children have a happy holiday this year.
Crews will also be out dredging the Buffalo River on Thursday. They'll be in the city ship canal area.