NEW YORK (AP) — New York fire marshals say a blaze at a Bronx apartment building that killed three young brothers was started by candles after electricity was cut.
Fire officials say Friday's fire started in a second-floor apartment of a six-story building just blocks from Yankee Stadium. Five-year-old Elijah Artis, 2-year-old Jeremiah Artis and 4-month-old Michael Turner were pronounced dead at a hospital.
Police say their 25-year-old mother and her two other children, a 4-year-old girl and 4-month-old girl, are stable.
Fire marshals said Saturday the fire started in the kitchen and was accidental, but there were no smoke alarms. Con Edison says the power was cut because of unpaid bills.
The building is about 10 blocks from the site of a 2007 fire that killed 10 people, including 8 children.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
A man who was wrongly convicted of second degree murder in 2009 has been set free after spending four years in prison.
Investigators are trying to determine who dumped a dog on the side of the road inside a zipped up Coors Light thermal bag.
A man once featured on the Cattaraugus County Top 10 Most Wanted List has pleaded guilty after being extradited from Indiana.
Lake Snow On the Move Tonight; May Return Briefly North Wed; Lengthy "Event"
New research shows three popular methods of quitting smoking do not increase risk of heart attacks and strokes.
Sergio Rodriguez announced Tuesday that he intends to run for the Buffalo School Board. He plans to run for one of three seats that will be up for election in May.