NEW YORK (AP) — New Yorkers who are still homeless a year after Superstorm Sandy say they need more time to find shelter before the city evicts them from hotel rooms.
Federal funding for the program ended this week but about 300 people are still sleeping in city-funded hotel rooms that are paid for through Friday.
Several of them held a press conference Wednesday with elected officials to fight for the program's continuation.
Cherelle Manuel said she found a new place to live but needs more time for paperwork to be processed. Manuel and her four children have been living in hotels since the storm flooded their home in Far Rockaway, Queens.
A judge last week sided with city lawyers and lifted an injunction that had protected the housing program.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Investigators have pieced together who is responsible for dumping a dog on the side of the road inside a zipped up Coors Light thermal bag.
State Police need your help finding the pickup truck driver who pinned a mother against her vehicle as she was loading her baby and young son into it and then fled the scene.
A house became engulfed in flames on Route 243, in Rushford, early Wednesday morning.
The Cattraugus County Sheriff’s Office says a 17-year-old male from East Otto was arrested on Monday evening.
News 4 will get a tour of the new gaming floor at the Seneca Niagara Casino and Hotel on Wednesday. The casino pumped $26 million into the main gaming floor.
The Mounted Patrol from the Erie County Sheriff’s Department is kicking off its annual Mounted for Meals food drive.