DENVER (AP) — A suburban Denver man who was diagnosed with "popcorn lung," possibly from inhaling the artificial butter smell of the microwave popcorn he regularly ate, has won a $7.2 million verdict against various food companies.
Wayne Watson's attorney, Ken McClain, said a federal jury granted the award Wednesday against Gilster-Mary Lee Corp., The Kroger Co. and Dillon Companies Inc. after he developed respiratory problems in 2007.
Watson previously settled claims against the flavor developer FONA International Inc., formerly Flavors of North America Inc.
Watson argued the companies failed to warn consumers that inhaling the buttery aroma could put them at risk of lung injury.
KCNC-TV in Denver reports defense attorneys had argued Watson's health problems stemmed not from popcorn but from his years of working with carpet-cleaning chemicals.
Information from: KCNC-TV, http://www.cbs4denver.com
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Town of Evans Police are asking the public for information about an abandoned puppy that was found on the side of Holland Road.
An angry mother who claims her daughter was dropped-off miles away from home wants answers.
Deputies say a teen driver fell asleep at the wheel early Thursday morning before crashing head-on with another vehicle.
A hearing in Buffalo Thursday morning focused on the use of medical marijuana. So far 20 states and Washington D.C. allow it. Now some people want to see a similar law passed in New York.
A woman looking to make some extra money nearly lost a bundle when a check she received from a buyer of an item she was selling on Craigslist turned out to be bogus.
Fast food workers are turning up the heat in their fight for higher wages. Many say they simply cannot live on the minimum wage alone.