BUFFALO, N.Y. - Professional Experience
- Meteorologist on the Number One-rated News 4 newscasts at 5, 6 and 11.
- Originally joined News 4 team August, 1984, returned in 1991
- Meteorologist WGRZ-TV, Buffalo (1988 - 1991)
- Chief Meteorologist WBEN-AM, Buffalo (December 1990 - 1994)
- Meteorologist WJYE-FM, Buffalo (1988-1990)
- Meteorologist/Science Editor WJBK-TV, Detroit (June 1979 - August 1984)
- WFLA-TV, Tampa, Florida (July 1978 - June 1979)
- KAKE-TV, Wichita, Kansas (July 1976 - July 1978)
- WVII-TV, Bangor, Maine (March 1976 - July 1976)
- Science writer and radio features reporter/producer for the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's Office of Public Affairs, concentrating on matters concerning environmental sciences, public health, and regulatory challenges.
- Don again won in the Best Weather Anchor category in Art Voice's Readers Choice poll in 2005. He has been selected in this category every year in which it was included in the Best of Buffalo poll.
- Selected for the second consecutive year by the readers of Artvoice as their favorite Buffalo weathercaster (July 2000)
- Holds American Meteorological Society Seal of Approval for Television Weathercasting
- Completed 3 year appointed term as Member, AMS Board of Broadcast Meteorology
- Served on AMS committee to formulate a Policy Statement on the appropriate use of "live" nomenclature in broadcast display of weather radar
- Full (professional) Member, AMS
In 2007, the Art Voice readers chose Don as their Favorite TV Personality in Buffalo overall.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Meteorology, minor in Political Science, Rutgers University,
- Continuing Education: AMS/National Weather Service short courses (15) completed in the interpretation of Doppler radar data, satellite meteorology, severe weather forecasting, flooding events, and completion of the NWS COMET training modules at the NWS in Buffalo on Doppler radar applications, heavy precipitation, and winter weather forecasting techniques.
- Completed Army ROTC program while at Rutgers.
- Served as 1st lieutenant at the U.S. Army Infantry School, Fort Benning, GA.
- Retired from USAR at rank of Captain.
Hobbies and Interests
- Interested in contemporary big band jazz, American popular standards, Frank Sinatra, and orchestral arrangements (he can't read a note!)
- Wrote jokes ("on the side") for New York radio personality Ted Brown (of WNEW-AM) for 9 years.
- Twice considered for a staff writing position for "The Tonight Show starring Johnny Carson" by the show's Head Writer, and was "personally passed over" by Johnny, himself. (Don's proudest "non-accomplshment.")
- Has two daughters, Leah and Leslie
Favorite Books and Movies
- Can't name a single favorite book, but "Plan Nine From Outer Space" still ranks as his favorite movie (if he sees it no more than once every 5 years.)
What I Like About Buffalo
- "It sounds hokey, but among the things I like best about Buffalo is the weather, and that INCLUDES lake effect snow! I love the relative ease of getting around (compared to the NYC area where I grew up), the choices for entertainment and eating, the warmth of the people, and the surrounding countryside. I never knew I would settle down here when I arrived in 1984, but Buffalo is home now."
Born and Raised
- Don was born in Jersey City, and raised in Hudson County, NJ, adjacent to Manhattan. "I'm one of the few people from Hudson County never indicted by a Federal Grand Jury," Don brags. That is his other favorite non-accomplishment.
Buffalo Police have arrested 26-year-old Nicholas Finnegan of South Buffalo and charged him with pushing Russ Ross to his death.
The Niagara County Sheriff's is on the scene of a suspected meth lab in Cambria.
Police say there were 32 burglaries, 20 in Albion, five in Medina, four in Oakfield and three in the City of Lockport.
At least four fire companies responded to a large house fire in Blasdell.
Call 4 Action looked into claims this week that members of BJ's Wholesale Club were paying too much on sales tax on some deeply discounted items.
State Police in Pennsylvania are investigating an alleged pedophile pastor already facing charges in Western New York.