HAMBURG, N.Y. (WIVB) - A fire at the Emerald Green Apartments on Rogers Road in Hamburg sent multiple crews to the scene on Monday.
The blaze broke out shortly before a thunderstorm rolled in, but firefighters say lightning did not spark the fire that began around 3 p.m. The residents were not home at the time, but neighbors saw and heard the fire and called 911. And then, when I walked over, I saw the car was starting on fire.
Lori Nediceyuva said, "I saw this huge black smoke and the flames came billowing out and you could hear the windows popping in the houses."
Hamburg Police went to the three other apartments in the building and made sure everyone was out safely.
Lakeshore Fire Chief Matt Giacomini said, "Right now, we're not sure where it started. That's under investigation. Unfortunately, the homeowners did lose a dog in [the fire]."
After the flames were extinguished, crews moved in to begin boarding up the building as best as they can.
Police say they had the wrong man, and that Jerome Thagard, who spent four years in prison, didn't murder Steven Northrup in 2009. But the victim's family says otherwise.
A Good Samaritan died Wednesday while trying to assist the driver of a tractor trailer who got stuck in the snow.
A 26-year-old male employee of Ying's Wings and Things told police that Haibo Jiang, also known as Jimmy Ying, choked him until he passed out.
It was so treacherous in North Collins, the mayor had to issue a travel ban, and village snow plows were pulled off the roadways to keep drivers from trying to plow in zero visibility.
The Buffalo School Board unanimously approved plans to transform Burgard High School into a Manufacturing Magnet School on Wednesday,
Investigators are making progress in the case of a Chihuahua thrown in a ditch while zipped up in a Coors Light thermal bag.