Ken-Ton, Williamsville school districts opening doors to more students

Back to School

(WIVB) — The Kenmore-Town of Tonawanda Union Free School District is welcoming back pre-schoolers, kindergarteners, first graders and students with special needs on Tuesday.

Mercedes Wilson dropped off her two daughters at Franklin Elementary for school for the first time since March.

“It feels great although I think myself and every other parent is nervous,” she said. “It feels great because my girls are so happy.”

Wilson says her big concern is her daughters could get sick and pass the illness to other members in the family, or pass COVID-19 to other students.

To ease parent concerns, the Ken-Ton School District had students do a trial run to get a sense of what school will be like with the guidelines. Parents say they appreciated that.

“Last week when they did the orientation I know that they practiced with the kids as far as like hygiene, hand washing and keeping their distance and practicing with the masks, said parent Meghan Trost whose son starts in-person learning on Thursday.

Students grades 2nd through 5th return to school next month and grades 6th through 12 will be back in January.

The Williamsville Central School District is bringing back fifth and sixth grade students.

“The Williamsville Central School District is excited to welcome back our 5th and 6th grade students, both remote and hybrid, into our classrooms. This is the first step of our three step Williamsville Relaunch Plan phase-in process and was accomplished through the incredible hard work from our teachers, students, parents, principals, and administrative team. We look forward to seeing students return over the next few weeks and are working hard to ensure a quality Williamsville education for all of our students and families.”

District’s statement on welcoming students back to school

Seventh and eighth grade students will be back next week. High schoolers will return on October 26th.

Sarah Minkewicz is a reporter who has been part of the News 4 team since 2019. See more of her work here.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Don't Miss