BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) — The nation’s largest union for higher education is calling on the state to spend more on SUNY.
Leaders with United University Professions held a news conference Thursday at Buffalo State College. The union is calling on state lawmakers to give SUNY schools at least $150 million in new funding.
“What has happened over the past 15 years is instead of 60 percent of funding coming from the state. It now comes from tuition and fees. We need to get to the point where it is truly a public education system,” said Fred Kowal, UUP, president.
The president of the union says state spending on SUNY has remained flat over the past decade.
New on WIVB.com
- Jeopardy! to feature WNY native on Tuesday night
- Otsego County giving COVID test kits out to public
- Erie County mask mandate still in effect after statewide ban struck down
- City of Niagara Falls will give away 900 at-home COVID-19 test kits next month
- Wyoming County Community Health System announces death of CEO