BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) — One of the longest-standing businesses on Allen Street in Buffalo is New Touch of Elegance. It’s a hair salon started by Dominican hairstylist Nuris Garcia.
The business has been on Allen Street for at least 30 years.
Garcia was 23-years-old when she came to the United States. Her transformation from a stylist to a business owner in Buffalo wasn’t easy.
Garcia’s daughter Ronelda Guzman says styling hair is a family tradition carried that was brought to the family from the Dominican Republic.
She says Hispanic Heritage month gives her and her family a chance to share their pride in their Hispanic culture.
Angelica Morrison is an award-winning reporter who has been part of the News 4 team since 2019. See more of her work here.
Hispanic Heritage Month
- Sisters share Hispanic culture in new children’s book
- Dominican hairstylist carries on family tradition at longtime Allentown salon
- Hispanic Heritage Month: Peruvian native shares her love of salsa dance with the community
- Hispanic Heritage Month: Local Hispanic restaurants offer a variety of diverse flavors
- Hispanic heritage celebrated in East Aurora Saturday