Shop Small 716: Elle James Decor

Shop Small 716

BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) – Courtney Nelson-Benton is helping residents of the Queen City making their living spaces more lovable.

Nelson-Benton just opened her first brick-and-mortar location for her business, Elle James Decor, at 1856 Hertel Ave.

The boutique sells carefully curated home goods and items like hand-wrapped sage, incense, and candles.

“I’ve always loved home decor, and interior design has really been a passion of mine ever since college,” Nelson-Benton said. “I think some of that comes from my psychology and counseling background- the things that surround us really affect our moods.”

Nelson-Benton started her business about three years ago, selling custom-made wreaths and selling them at artisan fairs and festivals.

“But people aren’t walking around buying huge door wreaths- they’re looking for smaller things,” Nelson-Benton explained. “So I started thinking of other things I could provide people with- sage, incense, anything that would really help people to bring positive energy into their space.”

The name “Elle James” comes from Nelson-Benton’s middle name, Ellsworth, and her son’s name.

“Raising a young boy in this type of climate, I think it’s so important to show him how he can make his own money and how he can build wealth for himself,” Nelson-Benton added.

She’s a resident of the neighborhood where she opened her brick-and-mortar location.

“I wanted to bring something into the neighborhood that I would want myself,” Nelson-Benton said. “People can walk right in here, and you don’t have to think about waiting in long lines or going to big department stores- you can shop right in your neighborhood.”

The response has been great so far- and Nelson-Benton says she plans on paying it forward by inviting other women entrepreneurs sell their items at the shop during pop-up events.

“I can provide advice and assistance and help guide them, so they can someday own their own shop too,” Nelson-Benton added.

You can follow Elle James Decor on Facebook here or shop online here.

Do you have a small business you’d like to see featured in this segment? Email us!

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Now

Olympics News & Medal Count