BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) — With the potentially generational storm slated to hit Western New York this holiday weekend, many events, businesses and organizations are being canceled, postponed or closed.
This page breaks down closings by category. To see our complete list of all closings, click or tap here.
For the latest 4Warn Weather forecast, click or tap here.
Buffalo schools closed Friday, as did a multitude of others. See the full list of school closings here.
The following counties have issued States of Emergency and travel bans:
- Erie County
- Genesee County: Travel ban in Alabama, Oakfield, Elba, Pembroke, Darien, Batavia, Alexander. Travel advisory in Byron, Bergen, Bethany, LeRoy, Stafford, Pavilion.
The following highways are closed to all traffic:
- State Route 400
- State Route 219
- State Route 5 (Big Tree Road to I-90)
A commercial vehicle ban took effect at 6 a.m. Friday on I-90 from Rochester to Pennsylvania and most of I-190.
The following municipalities have also issued travel bans:
- Orchard Park
- Tonawanda (city): State of Emergency declared, warming shelter set up at First Methodist Church at 207 Grove Street. A warming center will open at noon Friday in the Town of Tonawanda at Hoover Elementary School, with refuge centers at 738 Sheridan Dr., 50 Jamaica Rd., and 84 Hawthorne Ave.
- Niagara County
- Lackawanna: In effect until further notice — State of Emergency declared at 7 a.m. Friday
Boil water advisory
A boil water advisory is in effect for all of Eastbrooke Place and two homes on Greiner Road in Clarence. Due to a watermain break that crews have been unable to get to, the ECWA is asking residents to boil their water for the next 48 hours after the watermain is repaired and pressurized. That consists of: bringing tap water to a rolling boil, boiling for one minute, and cooling before using.
The Peace Bridge, Rainbow Bridge and Lewiston-Queenston Bridge are all closed until further notice.
- The airfield at Buffalo Niagara International Airport has closed until 11 a.m. on Dec. 26 and all flights have been canceled. Updates can be found at buffaloairport.com.
- The NFTA is suspending bus and rail services due to the storm until further notice.
A number of flights at the Buffalo Niagara International Airport have already been canceled Thursday. See their full list here.
Businesses, public places and government offices
- The Bills Store at Highmark Stadium are closed Friday.
- Buffalo’s two indoor pools, Cazenovia and Lovejoy, are closed.
- Buffalo’s four waterfront parks including Ralph Wilson Park, Bird Island Pier, Broderick Park and Erie Basin Marina closed at 3 p.m. Thursday.
- Erie and Niagara County governmental offices, among others, will be closed Friday.
- The Galleria Mall is closed Saturday.
- Tops Friendly Markets closed all of its Erie and Niagara County stores at 2 p.m. Friday.
- Wegmans stores closed at noon Friday and will reopen on Monday at 6 a.m.
Other businesses, offices and public places have closed — click or tap here for the full list.
- The Buffalo Zoo was closed on Friday. Tickets for Zoo Lights will be honored for any other night. Those with VIP tickets can call the zoo to reschedule or request a refund.
- Fairgrounds Festival of Lights‘ originally scheduled final day canceled.
- The Ice at Canalside will be closed Dec. 22-23. All reservations have been refunded.
- The Johnny and the Man Kids Holiday Jamboree at Mister Goodbar has been postponed.
- Caneitis’ Holiday Extravaganza at Mohawk Place has been postponed to Dec. 27.
- Rec Room’s Winter Gala has been postponed to Jan. 13.
- An Evening with Judy Collins: Holidays & Hits at the Riviera Theatre has been postponed to Feb. 26
- Buffalo Sabres vs. Tampa Bay Lightning on Friday has been rescheduled for March 4.
- Events at HarborCenter have been postponed Friday.
- Northtown Center is closed Friday and all activities are canceled.
- Garbage and recycling pickup in Buffalo and Amherst is canceled Friday.
- Cheektowaga will be picking up trash and recycling early on Friday. Residents there are asked to put out their totes before 5 a.m.
- Modern Disposal will not be collecting garbage or recycling in Niagara County on Friday.
To be added to this list, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Latest Local News
- Jim Jordan says he’s uncertain reform can stop ‘evil’ seen in Tyre Nichols video
- Newborn baby found abandoned near Florida mobile home park
- Hiring event to take place at Batavia VA this Wednesday
- Lisa Loring, who played original Wednesday Addams, dies
- Chiefs star Kelce to Cincinnati mayor: ‘Know your role and shut your mouth’