TOWN OF TONAWANDA, N.Y. (WIVB) – Buffalo mayoral candidates India Walton, Byron Brown and Benjamin Carlisle took the stage for a debate at St. Joseph’s Collegiate Institute at 9:15 a.m. You can watch the debate in the video player above.
The debate, held just six days before the election, was moderated by AP Government teacher Ted Lina and questions were written and asked by St. Joe’s AP Government students and members of the Equity & Justice Club. The private, all-boys school has hosted an annual political debate for more than 30 years.
Live updates from the debate can be found in the following Twitter thread:
This will mark the second mayoral debate since Walton upset Brown in the Democratic primary (you can watch the Sept. 9 debate here).
The debate comes on the heels of a new mayoral poll released Tuesday that showed Brown holding a sizable lead in the race, though Walton was ahead with likely voters age 18-34.
Latest news in the Buffalo Mayoral Race
- Poll worker who pre-stamped ballots for Byron Brown pleads guilty to lesser charge
- Byron Brown defends his tax increase after criticizing India Walton’s smaller proposal
- Poll worker accused of stamping Mayor Brown’s name on numerous ballots
- Former Erie County Legislator Betty Jean Grant charged after video incident at polling place
- Write-ins are counted: Buffalo Mayor Byron Brown wins reelection, defeating India Walton
- Buffalo mayor race: 99% of first write-in votes counted are for Byron Brown
- Erie County Board of Elections prepares for final ballot count
- Prosecutors investigating allegation inspectors pre-stamped mayoral ballots
- UB professors share analysis on Buffalo mayor race
- India Walton says “it seems unlikely” she’ll have enough votes to be elected mayor