BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) – The man accused in the mass shooting at the Tops on Buffalo’s East Side has been indicted and arraigned on more than two dozen charges, including a domestic terrorism charge.
The indictment of Payton Gendron, 18, has been reported to the court, an official with the Erie County District Attorney’s office said. The indictment obtained by News 4 includes 25 charges.
- Domestic act of terrorism motivated by hate in the first degree
- Murder in the first degree (10 counts)
- Murder in the second degree, as a hate crime (10 counts)
- Attempted murder in the second degree, as a hate crime (3 counts)
- Criminal possession of a weapon in the second degree, an armed felony
A law enforcement source says this marks the first time a grand jury in New York State has ever indicted a defendant on the charge of ‘domestic act of terrorism motivated by hate in the first degree’. It went on the books in 2020.
Brian Parker, the defendant’s attorney, did not immediately respond to a request for comment. In court Thursday afternoon, the accused shooter was arraigned on the 25-count indictment. He has been remanded without bail and is scheduled to return to court on July 7.
The shooting on May 14th at the Jefferson Avenue grocery store killed 10 people and injured three more. The suspect was initially charged with a single count of first-degree murder. During a May 19th court appearance, prosecutors told a judge that a grand jury had voted for an indictment. However, the grand jury’s investigation had not yet been completed at that time.
Buffalo Supermarket Mass Shooting
- Mayor Brown goes inside Jefferson Ave Tops: ‘It looks completely different’
- Buffalo mayor: I will continue to shop at Tops when it reopens after mass shooting
- Biden signs landmark gun measure, says ‘lives will be saved’
- House passes landmark gun violence legislation, sends bill to Biden
- SCOTUS overturns NY conceal to carry law, leaders react
Chris Horvatits is an award-winning reporter who joined the News 4 team in December 2017. See more of his work here.