NEW YORK (WWTI) — New Yorkers are being reminded of season date changes for trapping in portions of the state.
The Department of Environmental Conservation announced on November 25 new regulations for beaver, mink and muskrat trapping season dates.
Beaver trapping season dates include the following.
- Southern Zone (excluding NYC and Long Island): November 10 through April 7
- Northern Zone (remains unchanged): November 1 through April 7
Mink and muskrat trapping season dates are detailed below.
- Central and western New York: November 10 through February 15
- Southeastern New York (remains unchanged): November 10 through April 7
- Northern Zone (beginning in 2021): November 1 through April 15
According to the DEC, these dates will expand opportunities, streamline trapping dates and more effectively manage beaver populations in New York State.
Additionally all season date changes were proposed from a 2018 survey of furbearer hunters. The survey found that these changes could maximize pelt quality.
All changes to season dates are effective immediately according to the DEC.
- Need a job? Free headshots being offered this week in City of Buffalo
- President Biden says 100-day goal on vaccinations may rise to 150 million instead of 100 million
- Hamburg neighborhood creates Buffalo Bills themed snow sculptures
- Trump impeachment trial: Lawmakers divided on how to proceed
- Popular McDonald’s item returns to menus