BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) — Law enforcement agencies in Buffalo are investigating whether a former federal agent knew in advance an 18-year-old white supremacist was going to attack the Tops on Jefferson Avenue, multiple sources told News 4.
This story was first reported by The Buffalo News. Law enforcement sources with direct knowledge of the investigation told News 4 the former federal agent was among a small group of people to have regular interactions online with the gunman.
About 30 minutes before he opened fire in the Tops parking lot, the shooter posted a racist diatribe and invitations to watch the massacre live on the social media site, discord.
Sources tell News 4 that the former federal agent’s relationship with the gunman is part of the ongoing investigation.
Buffalo Supermarket Mass Shooting
- Decades later, Congress nears repeal of both Iraq war authorizations
- Banking legislation piles up as wobbly market evolves
- Peacemakers help Buffalo’s Central Library return to normal hours
- High winds, heavy rain hit Western New York
- Passenger detained at LAX after opening plane’s emergency exit, deploying slide: police
Dave Greber is an award-winning anchor and reporter who has been part of the News 4 team since 2015. See more of his work here.