BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) – Vice President Kamala Harris will travel to Buffalo this weekend to visit with families affected by the Buffalo supermarket mass shooting.
Harris is expected to attend the funeral of Ruth Whitfield, which will be presided by famed civil rights activist Rev. Al Sharpton.
Her visit follows President Biden’s trip to Buffalo last Tuesday, which was the first visit by a sitting president since 2013. Biden spent time at the shooting memorial outside Tops of Jefferson Avenue, met with families at the Delavan-Grider Community Center, and spoke out against white supremacy in a speech.
Second Gentleman Douglas Emhoff will also be in attendance on the trip.
This is a breaking news story, check back for more info.
Buffalo Supermarket Mass Shooting
- Biden signs landmark gun measure, says ‘lives will be saved’
- House passes landmark gun violence legislation, sends bill to Biden
- SCOTUS overturns NY conceal to carry law, leaders react
- “Buffalo Black Billion” to invest in Jefferson Ave. after Fruit Belt revitalization
- Body armor law in NY does not include vest worn by gunman in Tops shooting
* * *
Nick Veronica is a Buffalo native who joined the News 4 team as a Digital Executive Producer in 2021. He previously worked at NBC Sports and The Buffalo News. You can follow Nick on Facebook and Twitter and find more of his work here