BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) — An asylum seeker from the Democratic Republic of the Congo was arraigned on sexual abuse and unlawful imprisonment charges on Wednesday, the Erie County District Attorney announced.
22-year-old Kindu Jeancy is facing the charges for allegedly forcing a victim into sexual contact at a hotel in Cheektowaga on Aug. 11. He is accused of pushing her onto a couch, holding her arms down and forcing himself on top of her.
If convicted of the highest charge, he faces up to seven years in prison. He is being held without bail and a temporary order or protection on behalf of the victim remains in effect.
Jeancy is one of four asylum seekers facing various charges in Erie County and one of two facing charges related to sex crimes. A man from Venezuela is accused of raping a woman in a Cheektowaga hotel room on Aug. 8. He was indicted on Sep. 5.
Jeancy returns to court for a pre-trial conference on Oct. 16.
Latest in crime news
- Buffalo Police release body cam video from shooting of ‘suicidal’ man
- Buffalo man pleads guilty to child porn charge
- ‘We’re not trying to hurt you,’ border agents told WNY man before firing fatal shots
- Depew man pleads guilty to selling fentanyl that led to 2 deaths
- Tonawanda man convicted of killing civilian, shooting detective facing 205 years to life
Aidan Joly joined the News 4 staff in 2022. He is a graduate of Canisius College. You can see more of his work here.