JAMESTOWN, N.Y. (WIVB) — Jamestown police say they have identified the body of a man found Monday in a wooded area behind the 100 block of East 2nd Street.
Jamestown police say the body was identified as 51-year-old Jamestown resident Clarence Kelwaski, Jr. Back on August 11, Kelwaski had been identified as a person who was missing from Saratoga Springs. He had been admitted to a drug treatment program there.
“Kelwaski reportedly signed himself out of treatment in Saratoga Springs on that day and had not been in contact with his family since that date,” Jamestown police wrote in their update.
The Chautauqua County Forensic Investigation Unit and the Chautauqua County Coroner assisted with the investigation. It was considered to be a suspicious situation.
It’s not clear how Kelwaski died, but the official autopsy results are pending further medical tests, police said.
Police are trying to figure out how and when Kelwaski was able to get back to Jamestown. Anyone with information that could help investigators is asked to call (716) 483-7537 or submit a tip anonymously by calling (716) 483-8477.
New on WIVB.com
- Sabres’ Rasmus Dahlin replacing injured Tage Thompson in NHL All-Star Game
- ‘Daily Show’s’ Roy Wood Jr. to take the mic at this year’s White House correspondents’ dinner
- Blue Bell releases new ice cream flavor
- The history of Groundhog Day is more complex than you may think
- Man without permanent address sentenced for 3 bank robberies
Aidan Joly joined the News 4 staff in 2022. He is a graduate of Canisius College. You can see more of his work here.