DESOTO COUNTY, Miss. — A vacation ended in tragedy as a Desoto County Sheriff’s deputy drowned during a family outing in Florida. Authorities said he died a hero.
According to reports, William Nichols, 33, drowned while saving his son on Wednesday in Destin, Florida. Nichols helped his son make it back to shore but wasn’t able to make it himself because of the strong current.
Rescuers pulled him from the water and performed CPR as he was rushed to the hospital. He later died.
Nichols was the director of the Search and Rescue Division at the Desoto County Sheriff’s Department.
- Second stimulus check: Where Biden, Harris stand on COVID payment proposals
- New charges announced in March shooting death case
- Summer tennis program honors local teen who died in hot air balloon crash
- Biden, Harris make first appearance as running mates
- Lancaster Central School District offering hybrid and remote learning model