87-year-old man taken to hospital after fire in Williamsville apartment

Local News

WILLIAMSVILLE, N.Y. (WIVB) — After a call from an alert neighbor, crews responded to a fire at the Georgetown Apartments on Evans St. in Williamsville Friday morning.

The incident happened shortly before 9 a.m.

Amherst police say Vello Puust, 87, was found unconscious inside the building. Following this, he was taken to a hospital to be treated for serious injuries related to smoke inhalation.

He remains in serious condition at ECMC. No one else was injured.

The damage done by the fire was limited to one apartment, but water and smoke affected seven other units.

The other residents, who were all evacuated, were displaced for the time being.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Don't Miss