DA: Forensic evidence in gun arrest leads to charges against man accused of raping 3 women in 2017


BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) — A Niagara Falls man could spend 25 years to life in prison after authorities say forensic evidence connected him to three separate sexual assaults that happened in 2017.

This past January, Daquawn Mike, 21, was charged with criminal possession of a weapon during a traffic stop. Prosecutors say that Mike, who was in the passenger seat, had a loaded, illegal handgun under one of the seats.

MORE | Fire truck responding to scene on Goethe Street collides with school bus

The search of the vehicle, which was stopped by Cheektowaga police near William and Charles streets because of an alleged traffic violation, was prompted by the smell of marijuana, the Erie County District Attorney’s Office says.

After being released on $7,500 bail and failing to appear for a future court date, a bench warrant was issued for Mike’s arrest. He was later found in the Buffalo area the following April.

Once he was taken into custody, Mike was held on a probation violation for a prior conviction in Niagara County. In September, Mike was arraigned and held without bail.

Once a forensic analysis took place, the District Attorney’s Office says Mike was allegedly linked to three unsolved rapes that took place in Buffalo.

MORE | Buffalo Police: 12-year-old dies after being struck by vehicle at Albany and Hampshire

All three happened in 2017. The first two were in February, while the third happened in July. All three victims underwent a rape kit at ECMC.

During the first incident, which happened around 9:50 p.m., the District Attorney’s Office says the victim was walking in the area of Scajaquada and Kilhoffer when she was attacked. Prosecutors say Mike raped her while pointing a gun at her head.

“The alleged sexual assault occurred during the commission of a robbery,” the District Attorney’s Office says.

Officials say he stole her phone, a pack of cigarettes and roughly $12 in cash.

The second incident, which occurred approximately two weeks later, happened on Curtiss Street near Broadway. Prosecutors say Mike dragged the victim to the side of a nearby garage and raped her at knifepoint. Officials say this happened around 7:15 p.m.

Prosecutors say the third incident happened around 4:30 a.m. on July 3 of that year. At the time, the District Attorney’s Office says the victim was walking on Wick Street when Mike lured her to an area alongside train tracks.

At this point, prosecutors say Mike pointed a gun at her head, forced her to engage in sexual conduct, raped her and stole her phone.

Prosecutors believe these were random attacks.

Mike has been indicted on the following charges:

  • rape (three counts)
  • predatory sexual assault (nine counts)
  • criminal sexual act
  • robbery

Mike is scheduled to return to court on November 22. He’s currently being held without bail.

Latest Posts

Evan Anstey is an Associated Press Award and Emmy-nominated digital producer who has been part of the News 4 team since 2015. See more of his work here and follow him on Twitter.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Now