BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) — An Erie County Holding Center deputy prevented an inmate from committing suicide on Friday morning, the Erie County Sheriff’s Office announced.
While performing routine rounds just after 8:30 a.m. Friday, the deputy observed an incarcerated individual lying face down with a piece of linen around their neck. The deputy radioed for assistance and cut the linen free.
Medical personnel evaluated the health of the individual and treated on scene. When vital signs were stable, they were transported to an area hospital.
New on WIVB.com
- Legendary guitarist James Burton confirms kidney cancer diagnosis
- ‘Complete destruction’: Aerial video shows Hurricane Ian’s impact on Sanibel Island, Fort Myers Beach
- Texas homecoming queen gives crown to childhood friend
- Indigenous children honored at Lake Shore
- Unique fundraiser takes people ‘over the edge’ Saturday
Aidan Joly joined the News 4 staff in 2022. He is a graduate of Canisius College. You can see more of his work here.