BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) — The winners of the first round of Love Your Block grants have been announced.
The grant program supports community efforts to clean up and beautify neighborhoods.
Here are the winners:
- African American Cultural Center: Making improvements to the building’s facade through landscaping surrounding areas
- Box Ave. Block Club: Creating a community garden, installing fencing, and hosting clean-up events
- Burlington Ave. Block Club: Continuing to beautify Burlington Avenue community through the installation of new light fixtures and flower beds
- Canisius College/New Buffalo Project: Creating a 20-bed community garden & gathering place on Jefferson Avenue
- Castle Place Block Club: Restore the Castle Place Block Club sign and surrounding flower beds
- East Lovejoy Coalition of Neighborhoods (ELCON): Adding new plants, flowers, and decorations to the planters located along East Lovejoy Street
- Esser Ave. Community Garden: Revitalizing the previous community garden through installing pavers and new garden features to create a walkway
- Freedom Gardens: Plant heirloom organic non-GMO seeds and seedlings that will provide fresh vegetables and herbs throughout the growing season to residents in Buffalo’s most vulnerable communities
- Fruit of The City/ FruitBelt Coalition: Planting new flowers, trees, and bushes, in addition to pavers and a memorial tribute to the garden
The winners receive mini grants of up to $1,500 for their proposed projects.