BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) – A 25-year-old Buffalo man pleaded guilty Friday to first-degree manslaughter following a fatal shooting on Broadway last July.
Blake M. Banks, a former Buffalo firefighter, was accused of shooting 40-year-old Jason Johnson during a dispute around 1 p.m. on July 20, 2021. Officials said Johnson tried to escape the attack by driving away, but crashed moments later. He died from his injuries at ECMC.
Banks faces a maximum of 25 years in prison. He was off-duty at the time of the incident.
Banks is being held without bail. He is scheduled to be sentenced on June 23.
- Barbershop no longer raffling off AR-15, according to brewery
- “This need is not going away”: FeedMore WNY, Resource Council & Erie Co. partner for food distribution
- Korean War Vet from Buffalo laid to rest after over 70 years
- Woman seen punching flight attendant in video gets prison time
- Congressmen Jacobs, Zeldin address mass shootings; Jacobs speaks out against AR-15 sales
* * *
Nick Veronica is a Buffalo native who joined the News 4 team as a Digital Executive Producer in 2021. He previously worked at NBC Sports and The Buffalo News. You can follow Nick on Facebook and Twitter and find more of his work here.