BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) – A 25-year-old Buffalo man pleaded guilty Friday to first-degree manslaughter following a fatal shooting on Broadway last July.
Blake M. Banks, a former Buffalo firefighter, was accused of shooting 40-year-old Jason Johnson during a dispute around 1 p.m. on July 20, 2021. Officials said Johnson tried to escape the attack by driving away, but crashed moments later. He died from his injuries at ECMC.
Banks faces a maximum of 25 years in prison. He was off-duty at the time of the incident.
Banks is being held without bail. He is scheduled to be sentenced on June 23.
- Thompson scores five, four in first as Sabres topple Columbus
- “We have to listen and learn”: Iroquois Schools respond to NYSED Native American mascot memo
- Lawmakers question officials; make sure vets affected by burn pits are taken care of
- The U.S. is experiencing worst influenza season since 2009 swine flu pandemic
- Tage Thompson ties NHL record with 4 goals in 1st period, Sabres score 6 to match team mark
* * *
Nick Veronica is a Buffalo native who joined the News 4 team as a Digital Executive Producer in 2021. He previously worked at NBC Sports and The Buffalo News. You can follow Nick on Facebook and Twitter and find more of his work here.