BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) — The City of Buffalo is opening a new skating rink and honoring a Sabres legend.
Officials unveiled the new rink at the Hennepin Community Center Saturday.
The Sabres Foundation was on hand to announce a $10,000 grant to the Buffalo Police Athletic League’s “Learn to Skate” program.
The donation was made in honor of Val James the first Black American to play in the NHL.
The Sabres Foundation also announced it was giving free tickets to Police Athletic League members and their families to attend the red wings game on the sixth.
New on WIVB.com
- Man assaulted outside Four Aces Bar & Grill dies
- Texas man seen shooting his partner’s ex amid custody dispute claims self-defense, attorney says
- Former FBI agent: Brian Laundrie’s family could face charges
- Fauci speaks on possibility of omicron COVID-19 variant already in US: ‘I would not be surprised’
- Security guard protecting Nexstar news crew dies from injuries after attempted armed robbery