BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) — A man and a dog are dead after a fire broke out in Buffalo Tuesday morning.
First responders went to Winspear Avenue shortly after 6:30 a.m. There, a fire had begun on the upper floor of a two-unit residential building.
Herbierto Alvarez, 54, who lived there, was pulled from the scene by firefighters and taken to ECMC. After suffering serious injuries, he was declared deceased at the hospital.
Additionally, officials say a dog living in the upper apartment died in the fire.
The three people who live in the lower apartment, a mother and her two daughters, are receiving help from the American Red Cross.
Overall, the damage is estimated at $275,000. It’s not clear how the fire started.
Neighbors have started a GoFundMe for the downstairs family.
- Buffalo Public School parents and students take the district’s school closing flip flop in stride
- Free rapid COVID-19 tests available now through new government website: Here’s how to get them
- When We Were Young music fest boasts extremely stacked emo lineup
- Senate begins debate on voting rights legislation
- No money for new Bills stadium in Hochul’s budget proposal