BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) — Buffalo is one step closer to developing a new wetland ecosystem on its Outer Harbor.
The Erie Canal Harbor Development Corporation’s board of directors approved a partnership with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to create the wetland. Industrial development has created hardened shorelines, and hurt the wildlife population in the Niagara River and across the Great Lakes. The Outer Harbor project will use material from the Buffalo River to create a new habitat for fish and wildlife.
The project is estimated to cost just under $15 million.
New on WIVB.com
- Mask mandate stays in effect in schools frustrating parents against the requirement
- NY legislature likely to draw district lines on tight timeline ahead of primary
- Judge grants stay to keep NY indoor mask mandate in place—for now
- Iroquois’ Trey Kleitz breaks school’s All-Time Scoring Record
- School bus issues continue for parents and students at BPS