BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) — New York State Assembly Majority Leader Crystal Peoples-Stokes was in Buffalo on Tuesday morning to announce new funding for USS The Sullivans.
$500,000 will be going to the Dormitory Authority of the State of New York (DASNY) to help fix the ship, which started sinking earlier this year before being brought upright again.
“The USS The Sullivans has served for generations as a popular Buffalo waterfront attraction and a beloved piece of American history,” Peoples-Stokes said.
Over three weeks, more than 500,00 gallons of water were pumped out of the World War II-era ship.
“When we first got word that the USS The Sullivans was taking on water, everyone was calling everyone, all with the same question: how can we help?” Senator Tim Kennedy said. “It was an all hands on deck moment — one that we all closely monitored, because we know that these ships are not only important to our Western New York community, but to our nation’s history.”
Buffalo and Erie County Naval & Military Park President and CEO Paul Marzello says “there is still much work to do.”
“The incident with the USS The Sullivans in April, while unfortunate and unexpected, is not unimaginable with an 80-year-old warship that is 50 years past her expected life,” he said.
- Living with stiff-person syndrome: ‘It feels like I’m walking on broken glass,’ Ohio woman says
- Owner of controversial ‘Shroom House’ shop arrested
- Energy department official accused of stealing luggage from a second airport
- Woman stabbed after argument at BPS school
- FTX founder Bankman-Fried agrees to testify at House hearing on collapse