BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) — Canisius College put one of its dormitories on lockdown Monday afternoon after receiving a report of an armed robbery.
At around 3:30 p.m., campus Public Safety was notified of the incident. A member of the campus was involved in what Canisius described as a “scuffle” with the suspect, who was allegedly armed with a gun. Buffalo Police and Canisius Public Safety searched the premises for the suspect.
There was no confirmation as to whether the suspect was found. The victim was allegedly struck with the gun and later received assistance. The injury has been described as “non-life threatening.”
Director of Public Safety Kimberly Beaty sent a “timely notification” email to the campus at 4:22 p.m., telling students in Dugan Hall to “immediately shelter in place” and refrain from using common areas, including restrooms.
At 5:09 p.m., Beaty sent a follow-up email, announcing that the dorm had been re-opened to residents only. “At this time, visitors are not allowed in the building,” the email read.
New on WIVB.com
- Infectious disease specialist weighs in on mask mandates
- IRS issues several tips to avoid tax season fraud
- COVID anti-vaxxers more prone to depression, study shows
- Upcoming second annual ‘Icecycle’ event projected to raise more than $180K for Roswell Park
- Bills GM Brandon Beane echos comments about keeping Josh Allen ‘in the loop’ on potential OC hire