Fire officials say space heater caused a fatal fire in the Town of Eden

Local News

EDEN, N.Y. (WIVB)– A man is dead following a house fire that broke out Sunday afternoon in the Town of Eden, town supervisor Melissa Hartman confirmed Monday.

Hartman said the fire, which broke out at a home in the 9600 block of Jennings Road, started in an upstairs bedroom.

The homeowner, Ronald H. Jagow, 80, was located in his bedroom after firefighters knocked down the flames.

An investigation has determined that the fire was started by a space heater.

Fire Chief Joseph Hart says the whole town is mourning this loss.

“Well Eden is a very small community and very close knit some of the firefighters that responded actually knew the victim and knew who they were going in to try and save so it obviously makes it very hard for us as firefighters to deal with that,” Hart said.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Don't Miss