The Erie County Department of Parks and Recreation will work together with the Department of Senior Services to have a series of free weekly hikes geared towards seniors beginning next Thursday, May 2.
Hikes will begin at 2:30 p.m. at various parks around the county.
An Erie County Park Ranger will lead the hike to explore history and more during the one-hour trek.
“The Senior Hiking Club will give seniors an up-close, educational look at the natural wonders and rich history of our Erie County Parks, showcasing different parks each week while exploring interesting topics. This will be a kind of ‘behind the scenes’ look at our Parks and a great opportunity for seniors to enjoy,” said Commissioner of Parks and Recreation Daniel Rizzo.
See the full 2019 Spring Seniors Hiking Club schedule below:
- Thursday May 2 – Spring Wildflowers at Emery Park with Ranger Chuck. Explore Emery Park’s wildflowers and learn how to identify them. Hikers should meet at Shelter #2.
- Thursday May 9 – Infrastructure at Ellicott Creek Park with Ranger Roy. Learn about historic and recent work in the Park with an emphasis on the amount and variety of infrastructure in the Park. Hikers should meet at Shelter #4.
- Thursday May 16 – Nature Walk at Sprague Brook Park with Ranger Stephanie. A guided nature exploration of the cross country ski trail. Hikers should meet at the XC skiing hut.
- Thursday May 23 – A Jewel of the Onondaga Escarpment at Akron Falls Park with Ranger Chuck. Learn about the Onondaga Escarpment and why the Park’s great waterfall is there. Hikers should meet at Shelter #12.
- Thursday May 30 – Nature walk at Chestnut Ridge Park with Ranger Jerry. A guided nature exploration of the Reservoir Trail. Hikers should meet at the Commissioner’s Cabin.
- Thursday June 6 – Floodplains at Como Lake Park with Ranger Jerry. Learn about flood plains and their importance during a walk through the flood plain in the park. Hikers should meet at Shelter #5
- Thursday June 13 – Birding at Isle View Park with Ranger Stephanie. Enjoy a walk through the park looking for birds and learning how to identify them, especially the water birds that call the Niagara home. Hikers should meet at the Park Office.
- Thursday June 20 – History of Emery Park at Emery with Ranger Roy. A brief history of one of the county’s heritage parks, covering the founding of the park, WPA improvements in the 1930’s, and much more. Hikers should meet at Shelter #12.