EVANS, N.Y. (WIVB) — A 44-year-old Buffalo man is dead after a wrong-way crash with a tractor-trailer early Saturday morning on the Thruway in the Town of Evans.
New York State Police spotted the driver, Benjamin Wence, after reports of a vehicle driving the wrong way on the I-90. Wence was driving west in the eastbound lane through Hamburg.
Troopers tried to stop Wence, following behind him in the eastbound lane with their emergency lights on. When the 44-year-old wouldn’t stop, troopers made a u-turn and crossed over into the westbound lanes following him for several miles.
Wence crashed head-on with a tractor-trailer in the Town of Evans and was killed.
The driver of the tractor-trailer suffered a minor injury, NYSP said in a news release.
An investigation into the crash is ongoing.
New on WIVB.com
- ‘Totally Sweet Diaper Drive’ launched to help families after Buffalo shooting
- Deacon Heyward Patterson laid to rest, remembered as loving father
- Buffalo State student, East Side resident gives back after shooting
- Burrito tape: Students invent edible adhesive to seal tortilla
- Rep. Brian Higgins talks effort in Washington to combat domestic terrorism