CLARENCE, N.Y. (WIVB) — After 38 girls signed a list showing interest in the addition of a flag football team, it’s happening at Clarence High School.
The man who will serve as coach, Mark Layer, expects that number to grow.
“The athletic program here with the girls is outstanding,” he says. “And whether it’s soccer, field hockey, lacrosse or softball or volleyball, we’ve got tremendous female athletes here at Clarence High School. They’re competitive, aggressive. They are capable of doing anything and that was one of the big draws for me to coach here.”
Clarence’s team will play against 10 other area schools. A planning and logistics meeting is set to happen next month.
- Special reunion at Vietnam Veteran’s Memorial held on Memorial Day
- May Scholar-Athlete: Randolph’s Carson Conley
- Heavy police presence in Town of Tonawanda, officer to ECMC
- All 15 members of Nardin Board of Trustees removed
- Bandits lose in Colorado, decisive game of NLL Finals in Buffalo on Saturday night
Tara Lynch is a Buffalo native who joined the News 4 team as a reporter in 2022. She previously worked at WETM in Elmira, N.Y., a sister station of News 4. You can follow Tara on Facebook and Twitter and find more of her work here.
Evan Anstey is an Associated Press Award, JANY Award and Emmy-nominated digital producer who has been part of the News 4 team since 2015. See more of his work here and follow him on Twitter.