CLARENCE, N.Y. (WIVB) — Two people are dead as the result of a crash on Delaware Road near Goodrich in Clarence.
On Monday, shortly after 4 p.m., New York State troopers responded to the scene. They say a vehicle was headed east when it crossed into the oncoming lane, went onto the shoulder, overturned and hit a tree.
Both occupants of the vehicle died at the scene. They were later identified as Williamsville South students Luke Malinich and Lauren Taggart. Both were 17.
“The Williamsville Central School District is heartbroken by the loss of Williamsville South seniors Lauren Taggart and Luke Malinich,” the Williamsville Central School District said. “Our thoughts are with the Taggart and Malinich families during this difficult time. Grief counselors and support staff are available for students and staff.”
Police believe speed played a factor in this crash. On Wednesday morning, New York State Police informed News 4 that Malinich, who was driving, only had a learner’s permit. Taggart had a junior license.
(Correction: An earlier version of this story listed a different road. New York State Police have since provided an update with the correct location.)
- ‘We’re just a little disappointed’: Firefighters frustrated Niagara County ambulance service still not running
- Popular Hamburg restaurant to close its doors
- GOP struggles with chaos as shutdown deadline nears
- House Republicans at odds over Ukraine could stall government spending
- Bumbling bear wreaks havoc, destruction in attempt to enter Virginia home