HAMBURG, N.Y. (WIVB) — A 15-year-old has died from injuries sustained in a two-vehicle crash late Sunday night in Hamburg, the Hamburg Police Department announced.
Police said Claire S. Rybij of Hamburg was a rear-seat passenger in a Subaru station wagon that collided with a van around 11:50 p.m. at the intersection of McKinley Parkway and Quinby Drive. The teen was taken to Oishei Children’s Hospital for treatment before succumbing to her injuries.
“On behalf of the entire Hamburg Central School District community, we are all deeply saddened by this tragedy. Claire is much loved by classmates and teachers and will be deeply missed,” Hamburg School District Superintendent Michael Cornell said.
The district provided support for students and staff at Hamburg High School on Friday, and those resources will be available again from 9 to 11 a.m. Monday.
The 18-year-old driver of the Subaru also suffered serious injuries, but there was no update on their condition. A third passenger in the station wagon, as well as the driver of the van, both sustained minor injuries.
The incident remains under investigation.
The crash was preceded by another fatal incident in Hamburg, where 26-year-old Casey Nolder was killed after she was struck by a vehicle while riding an electric scooter.
- No-haggle price: What it means
- ‘Miracle on Main Street’: Iowa woman’s class ring found after 6 decades
- ‘Shocked and saddened’: Sarah, Duchess of York, mourns former assistant murdered in Dallas
- If marijuana is rescheduled, will it be legalized nationwide?
- House Republicans to vote on 45-day, clean stopgap funding bill