TOWN OF BRANT, N.Y. (WIVB) — An Erie County man has been accused of second-degree murder following the death of a woman who was missing for several days.
On July 1, 45-year-old Angola resident Gina Baca was found dead off Route 438 in the Town of Brant.
Erie County District Attorney John Flynn says her on-off boyfriend of about two years, 38-year-old Brant resident Keith Renaldo Jr., is accused of fatally shooting her on June 26.
During a conference on Thursday morning, Flynn shared that Baca had been in Virginia before driving up to western New York. She grew up here.
The last known contact she had was with her mother on June 26. No known contact occurred after that, Flynn says.
A couple days later, Baca’s mother reported her as missing. Flynn says her vehicle was then found near or on the Seneca Nation, and her body, which had begun decomposing, was in a pond.
Baca had gunshot wounds to her head and left side.
Renaldo was arraigned on Wednesday and will be back in court for a felony hearing on July 21. Currently, he’s in custody pending bail being set by a judge.
According to Flynn, only six of 50 homicide cases in Erie County are domestic violence cases.
More Crime Stories
- Buffalo man pleads guilty to felony, possession of “ghost gun”
- Kenmore man pleads guilty to reduced charge
- Man struck by gunfire Wednesday in Buffalo
- Alden man becomes first WNYer to get jail time for actions in Jan. 6 attack; sentenced to 45 days behind bars
- James Krauseneck found guilty in 1982 Brighton ax murder trial