BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) - On Friday, Gov. Andrew Cuomo commented on the conclusion of the Buffalo Billion trial, saying that systems can be put in place to prosecute people who commit similar crimes.
All four defendants in the corruption case were found guilty on all counts by jury on Thursday, following a month-long trial.
"Can you stop people from doing stupid things? No. Can you stop people from doing criminal things? No- but you can have a system in place that says if you do something wrong, we will be as aggressive as the law allows in prosecuting you," Cuomo said.
Buffalo mayor Byron Brown said Friday that it's possible Cuomo didn't know his right hand men, including Joseph Percoco, were involved in the massive corruption scandal.
Brown insists the case won't impact development funding from the Buffalo Billion.
Also on Friday, jury deliberations began in the case against former Senate majority leader Dean Skelos.
He's accused of abusing his powers to give his son money and a no-show.
Skelos was convicted of several charges in 2015, but the verdict was overturned last year and a retrial was ordered. Skelos said he was only trying to help his son find work.